Barnhouse Veterinary Clinic Ltd is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. The Data Protection act 2018 allows us to hold and process personal data
What information we are collecting
When you initially register with us, you will be asked for some essential contact details. The information we request is as follows:-
- Title; First name; Surname; Postal address and postcode; Landline (Home and work) & mobile telephone numbers;Email address; IF joining our Discount Loyalty Scheme, we will also need to collect your bank details
Why we are collecting it
This information is vital so that we can:-
- Register you on our Practice Management system; Provide our veterinary services to your pet/s and deliver our contract to you; To comply with RCVS & RMD regulations when supplying POM-V medications
How we will use or process information about you
Specifically, we may use data:
- To make appointments, charge fees, produce an invoice and take payment; To contact you regarding your pet/s, your account and address any queries; To dispense medications, food and preventative healthcare for your pet; To admit for operations and procedures; To send treatment reminders for your pet/s; To register you on to our pet health plan (if applicable)
Our Legal Basis for processing
On our GDPR form we will ask for your Consent for preference of SMS or text treatment reminders, and also your explicit consent for SMS or text information and marketing. We will also ask your consent upon admissions for treatment/procedures, euthanasia and off license medications. As we have a duty of care to your pet, many of our processing activities are classed as 'Legitimate Interest' such as sending out booster reminders and other recalls, sending bloods/tissue for testing, referring to a specialist and urine testing. We also process on the basis of 'Contract' such as when you first register your pet with us, checking your details on the GDPR form are correct, making appointments and raising an invoice and signing up to the loyalty scheme.
Who we will share your information with
We will occasionally need to share your Personal information with a 3rd party when it is in the best interest of your pet/s, yourself or for debt collection . For example:- Referral centres, blood testing/sample laboratories, insurers, other vets, Pet health plan, microchip companies, debt collectors, Out of hours provider.
Cookies and how we use them
A cookie is a small file placed on your computer's hard drive. It enables our website to identify your computer as you view different pages on our website.
Cookies allow websites and applications to store your preferences in order to present content, options or functions that are specific to you. They also enable us to see information like how many people use the website and what pages they tend to visit.
- Analyse our web traffic using an analytics package. Aggregated usage data helps us improve the website structure, design, content and functions.
- Identify whether you are signed in to our website. A cookie allows us to check whether you are signed in to the site.
- Test content on our website. For example, 50% of our users might see one piece of content, the other 50% a different piece of content.
- Store information about your preferences. The website can then present you with information you will find more relevant and interesting.
- To recognise when you return to our website. We may show your relevant content, or provide functionality you used previously.
Cookies do not provide us with access to your computer or any information about you, other than that which you choose to share with us.
However, please note that doing this may affect how our website functions. Some pages and services may become unavailable to you.
You have the Right to be Informed about how we will use your personal data; The Right to Access your personal data and information; The Right to Retrification - to have your data corrected or to be made complete if incomplete; The Right to Erasure; The Right to Restrict Processing of your data; The Right to Object to the processing of your data; You also have the to the ICO.
Accessing your personal information
You have a right to access the personal data we hold about you. In accordance with section 7 of the Data Protection act 2018, requests should be made in writing to Mr A. J. Wrather, Barnhouse Veterinary Surgery, 1 Tarvin Road, Littleton, Chester CH3 7DD.
Security and protection of personal data
Keeping your information secure is very important to us. All data stored on the Practice Managerment system is encrypted. Our firewalls and malware are kept up to date and our computer system is username and password protected. We hold a certificate of PCI DSS Merchant compliance for processing credit/debit cards and have an in house Credit/Debit card security policy. We also process personal information using a CCTV system to monitor and collect visual images for the purpose of security and the prevention and detection of crime.
Historical In house forms with personal data on are either locked away in a secure archive room or are up loaded to the Practice Management System and shredded as soon as possible after use.
Changes to our policy
Changes will be made to this policy from time to time and will be notified on our website and in the surgery.